Top Ten Daily Foot Care Tips
1. Inspect your feet daily. Look for any cuts, cracks in your skin, ingrown toenails, blisters, discoloured or infected areas, callouses, corns or warts.
2. Wash your feet in warm (not hot) water using a mild soap. Don't soak your feet as this can dry your skin.
3. Dry your feet well after washing, especially between your toes.
4. Apply lotion to your feet to prevent dry skin. Do not put lotion between your toes, as this is an ideal location for fungus or infections.
5. Clean any minor cuts or scratches with mild soap and water and cover with a dry dressing to legs.
6. Wear clean socks made of breathable materials (ie. cotton) that are not too tight around your legs.
7. Trim your toenails straight across and file any sharp edges. This will help prevent ingrown toenails.
8. Buy shoes at the end of the day when your feet are the biggest. Feet often swell during the day.
9. Do not go barefoot. Wear shoes at all times to prevent injury to your feet.
10. Wear socks at night if your feet feel cold. Do not use hot water bottles or heating pads as they may burn you.